Story

Ayden has always been named my 'saving grace' and now Owen has been name my 'little angel'. These two boys have saved my life!

Friday, October 8, 2010

How my Saving Grace came to be...

...It wasn't because I was in love. It was because I even remotely liked this person who hit me.. It was sexual abuse. I was taken advantage of and that night, my body decided it was time for me to have a little baby grow inside my belly. It scared me when I found out. I cried. I was 19 years old.. single.. pregnant.. ALONE. Yep, the one who said "It would never happen to me!" So, it happened and that's how my little one came to be.

I got the courage, finally, and kicked him out of my apartment. He was no longer welcome in my life. EVER! He finally left and I had a lot to clean up. My apartment; my life. If it wasn't for this one wrong thing that happened, I don't think I would be alive today - which is why I call Ayden my saving grace.

You see, if it wasn't for me getting pregnant, I truly believe I would have died at the hands of an angry young man. I locked myself in the bathroom when I took my pregnancy test and he came at me with a knife then he said he was leaving (PRAISE GOD! ... but then he ended up staying a little bit longer). He beat me, he choked me, he came at me constantly with kitchen knives. I almost passed out the day he choked me and boy that was it! I couldn't believe that someone would choke a pregnant woman.. well, someone who is normal wouldn't do that.

He left. I moved out and back in with my folks. I suffered.. but I became whole again. I paid my mom back for what I owed her. She nursed me back to health. I slept, constantly. Anyone who's been pregnant knows you sleep a lot but this was a healing sleep. This was survival. If I didn't sleep.. well, I'm just glad my family was there to help me.

Ayden was born at 39 weeks. He was healthy. Beautiful. And all mine! I never had to share him and in fact, I have 100% custody because 'he' signed over his rights. Almost 6 years together with Todd and our adoption will be final in a few weeks. He's a great husband and father and I'm happy to announce Ayden will be a little Schrader one of these days soon :)

If it wasn't for Ayden ... if it wasn't for all those STUPID mistakes ... I wouldn't be here. Ayden wouldn't be here. I wouldn't have married a great man and Owen wouldn't be here.

My Saving Grace ... I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Angela. You are a survivor and I appreciate you sharing your story. You are brave, STRONG, and I am proud to call you my friend.

    Cheers to your Saving Grace, Ayden, too!

    ReplyDelete